Monday 16 December 2013

Black Cosplayers? Cosplaying For Black People?

I don't usually talk about race, but I was thinking about cosplaying for next year's Comic Con and I thought... hold on a minute... who the heck do I go as?





I'll be honest with ya, this one had me stuck. Either I'm ignorant, or there really aren't very many black heroines to choose from when it comes to Cosplaying.

I mean, yeah, there's Storm, of course. But how many black girls must cosplay Storm?! And I can't cosplay as Storm EVERY TIME. Cosplaying Halle Berry's Catwoman is a bit of a cheat because the original depiction of Selina Kyle in the comics is white. So... ? Does anybody have any ideas? Am I gonna have to make the male black characters female to cosplay them? Or am I gonna have to write a couple books, get a couple black heroines famous so I can cosplay one?

Or can I only cosplay aliens? (Gonna be covered by makeup anyway.)

Maybe I'll just start a list here and I can come back and add to it when necessary.
World Of Black Superheroes has loads of ideas too.

Man, I need to create some black heroines.



______________________________


List
- Storm (from X-Men)
- Catwoman (Halle Berry depiction)
- Tiana (Disney's The Princess And The Frog)
- Female Green Lantern (DC Comics. A cheat, but wth.)
- Madame Noire
- Aluna
- Nubia (DC Comics. Formed from clay as a twin to Diana - Wonder Woman.)
- Kymera (Marvel Comics. Daughter of Storm)
- Asha (Marvel Comics. NO idea who she is, discovered her a minute ago on Google Images.)
- Rue (The Hunger Games. I guess I'm too tall for this role!)

List cont.
- Miya (Aspen MLT. Again, no idea. Just looked on GoogleIMGS - is she even black?)
- Livewire (Valiant Entertainment.)
-Pathway (Marvel Comics)
- Venus Dee Milo (Marvel)
- Murmur (Marvel)
- Hub (Marvel)
- Silhouette
- Captain Confederacy
- Female Cloak (of Cloak and Dagger. Marvel.)
- Captain Universe

List cont.
- Pantha
- Olivia Lewis
- XS
- Pirouette
- Media
- Destiny Ajaye (Top Cow Comics)
- Wildstreak (Marvel)
- Neurotap
- Alyssa Miles
- Okoye (Marvel)




*sigh* I'm bloody tired. Another day.



Star .
________________________________________