Wednesday 5 August 2020

Brian Tracy's 'Think On Paper' Technique

This is an email from my sister I planned to share but never published, drafted on 20/10/2014. Blast from the past, huh?


'The Discipline of Clear Thinking

Think on paper.

ok so some of this might not be completely relevant but i highlighted in purple the part i thought would give you the most clarity about what to do after a situation has affect you. you can get an answer simply form taking the problems out of your head and putting them on paper.
I would say try this in diary style for 21 days. every single day for 21 days only then see if you feel better. after that things in your life should start to improve.


- When dealing with a problem of the situation, and write down every detail, how it happened, what’s going on, who’s involved, the problems that concerns the cost, write it all down. Think on paper.
Sometimes exactly the right choice pops out at you, it becomes clear, but you wouldn’t have triggered the super conscious solution if you hadn’t thought on paper.


Aristotle said wisdom the greatest of all human desires is the ability to make good decisions which is Experience plus Reflection i.e you have an experience, then you reflect on it, what does this experience mean, to me, how can I use that, what can I learn from it.

If you’re facing difficulties ask: What are my assumptions? What am I assuming about this situation that may not be correct?
Be open to doing something completely different.

Another way To improve your thinking, talk it over with someone that you like and trust and give them the details and ask for their feedback or perspective. If in a relationship, the other person can give you a perspective that completely changes your ideas.

Ask - What if my basic assumptions are wrong, about this job / relationship / product / investment / service. Then what would I do. Be open to doing something completely different, admitting the possibility that you may be wrong and doing something completely different.

The best way to reflect on your experiences – go for a walk, don’t take an ipod or anything, go for a walk 30 or 60 minutes and just walk, and while your walking reflect on things going on at work or at home for quality ideas or clarity.'


It's funny, I called my sister yesterday and she mentioned some decade-old emails she found that we sent to each other, talking about completely random, old, bizarre, outdated things we found interesting or funny at the time. I could practically hear her cringe when she said 'Oh yeah, I used to write in pink comic sans font!'

It is embarrassing to stumble across digital time-capsules, but sometimes you find valuable little gems that you forgot about, like the tip above. It's from The Miracle of Self Discipline by Brian Tracy, which is a wealth of information that's helped me at different stages of my life so far. Well worth looking up.



Star . 


Listening to: soundtrack to Mercenary Force on Game Boy Advance

Reading: Women Who Can’t Seem to Kick Themselves Out of Neutral by Elisabeth Ovesen

Watching: The first 20 hours -- how to learn anything TEDxCSU talk by Josh Kaufman