Tuesday 21 July 2020

Forced Smiles: Putting on a Brave Face In Emotional Turmoil

I consider it my duty to remain positive, even in the face of bad news. As a result, when I first hear the news I often react very well - I'll laugh it off with ease, and give a genuine smile if I can bear it.

After the moment has passed, I'm hit with the full force of what's happened. Sometimes, it's earth-shattering and turns my world upside down, like when I was laid off from my job. Other times it's like slowly sinking into sadness, like when a friend cancels our lunch a few hours before we're due to meet.

In both cases, I completely understand why it happened, but that knowledge didn't stop the feeling of a rug being pulled from under my feet. In the case of the lunch meet, especially because it's happened so many times before. 

It's life - life happens. I know this, so why doesn't it hurt any less?



Star . 


Listening to: 'Wild Thoughts' (Medasin Dance Remix) by DJ Khaled ft. Rihanna & Bryson Tiller

Reading:  The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

Eating: Ranch vegan chickn burger (seitan deep fried in a crunchy coating, with ranch sauce, pickles and lettuce in brioche), paprika seasoned fries, and oat milk-based vanilla milkshake from Mercy Burger, brought to Boxpark Shoreditch from London fried chicken brand Coqfighter.